Whether it’s due to injury, illness or aging, sometimes older adults need a little extra help, especially at home. However, family members and friends can’t always be there 24/7 to assist their aging loved one. That’s where home care comes in. When it comes to choosing an in-home care provider, here are some of the ComForCare/At Your Side advantages.
- We make it easy. At a full-service home care agency, such as ComForCare/At Your Side, caregivers are agency employees not independent contractors—this means our caregivers are bonded and insured. Plus, we manage responsibilities such as payroll taxes, workers’ compensation, caregiver screening and scheduling. If you hire a caregiver through a registry or a private hire, you become the employer and are responsible for these tasks. At ComForCare/At Your Side, we take care of all the details so families can spend more quality time with their aging loved ones. To learn more about the benefits of hiring a home care agency, check out our blog Hiring an In-Home Caregiver – What Options Are Available?
- We only hire the best. When it comes to in-home care, you want a caregiver who is professional, compassionate and qualified. Our 10-step hiring process is one of the most thorough in the industry. We conduct comprehensive screenings, which includes ethics, attitude, reliability and drug testing as well as criminal background and driving record checks.* We assess skills and verify certifications, employment history and references.
- We provide ongoing caregiver training. Each of our caregivers must complete a full skills orientation, which uses a teach-back method. First, we explain how to care properly for a client. Then the caregivers demonstrate those necessary skills to us: an example would be how to transfer a person safely in and out of a chair. We also train caregivers to work with client-specific conditions and provide ongoing education. To ensure caregivers are following protocols and clients are pleased with their care, we conduct unannounced quality assurance calls and visits to clients’ homes.
- We customize our care. Our personalized approach to care sets us apart. We understand that every person and situation is unique. Our Superior Process begins with a thorough in-home consultation to identify a person’s specific needs and preferences. Next, we create a personalized plan. Wait, it doesn’t stop there! We continue to communicate with our clients and their family members, conduct reassessments, and adjust the care to reflect a client’s changing needs and condition.
- We’re flexible. Our caregivers are available for a few hours a week up to 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays. We’re also available around the clock to answer questions.
- We provide more than home care. Activities of daily living such as cooking, dressing and bathing are essential for healthy lives. However, it’s meaningful activities that bring people joy and purpose. We have found when clients are engaged in activities important to them, they are more willing to accept care. That’s why we work with clients and their families to identify activities based on a person’s interests, hobbies, and remaining skills and abilities.
- We embrace safety. Falls can be serious, sometimes fatal, for seniors. The good news is most falls are preventable. Many of our offices offer free in-home fall safety evaluations and fall risk assessments that look at all aspects of a person’s living conditions as well as factors known to increase a person’s fall risk. If someone is found to be at high risk of falling, we’ll make recommendations that can keep them safer, such as home modifications and lifestyle changes.
- We have innovative programs for people with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. We created DementiaWise® to enhance the lives of those living with dementia and their families. DementiaWise teaches caregivers about the changes caused by dementia as well as appropriate care methods and behavioral interventions.
If you or someone you know could benefit from in-home care, call us today at 800-886-4044 for a free in-home consultation. To learn more about home care, download our e-book: The Ultimate Home Care Planning Guide. It leads you through the entire in-home care process including how to talk to an aging adult about long-term care and how to pay for services. Remember, we’re here to help you live your best life possible.
*Where applicable by law.