Keeping active is an important step in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. As we age, our bodies start to need more help in staying physically fit. For some adults who have issues with obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and stress, regular exercise can help in the fight to reduce these issues.
Here are a few tips for older adults to help keep them healthy and active:
- Walking. Walking is a perfect way to start exercising. It requires no special equipment, aside from a pair of comfortable walking shoes, and can be done anywhere.
- Senior sports or fitness classes. Scheduled classes keep you motivated while also providing a source of fun, stress relief, and a place to meet friends.
- Water aerobics and water sports. Working out in water is wonderful for seniors because water reduces stress and strain on the body’s joints.
- Yoga. Combines a series of poses with breathing. Moving through the poses works on strength, flexibility and balance. Yoga can be adapted to any level.
- Tai Chi and Qi Gong. Martial arts-inspired systems of movement that increase balance and strength. Classes for seniors are often available at your local YMCA or community center.
For more information, visit HelpGuide.org.